hit counter


Earlier this year, in a place far, far away (about 125 miles), I planted some alpine strawberry seeds. I was very happy when they grew to look like this:

baby strawberries

Fortunately, they didn't stop growing. Eventually, they outgrew their humble beginnings in a plastic squash bottle. They got planted on, into a black plastic cauldron thing that my parents gave me, that was filled with snowdrop and daffodil bulbs. And there they have stayed all summer, joining me on the move south, producing many alpine strawberries that I have enjoyed munching on - although not yet enough for a bowl at a time.

Today, I finally got round to planting them out properly. I've dug up another strip of the front lawn, and popped them in. And the bulbs that were in the pot with them too.

big strawberry plants

I'm sorry it's not a better photo, but you get the idea. I'm hoping that they will continue to grow and self-seed in there, and that the bulbs will also grow up through and around them, and generally look lovely down that side of the path. Oh, and provide lots more strawberries too!


Hat issue resolution

Clarkie was right. So I ripped.

This hat is no more.

Simple rib hat

Now it looks like this.

canada 2.1

I think that looks better than just changing colour, even if Clarkie is not convinced by the colour selection. Me, I quite like the green/gold combination! (Please excuse the lousy photo - I'm not really home in time for natural light at the moment...)

The gold is 100% pure wool, bought for a hat I knitted for a friend. So it's more stash-busting left overs! Woohoo!


Hat issue

No, not the completed one. The other one...

Simple rib hat

I've run out of wool. Probably about half-way up the hat. Now, what should I do? I can change colour to one of the other chunky balls I've got. Thinking a gold colour at the moment. But that might look a bit odd. I can't think of any hat I've seen just suddenly changing colour half-way up. The alternative is hideous though. Rip out most of what I've done, and do it in stripes. The stripes shouldn't look too hideous, but the thought of ripping out all that work... I know, not really that much work. But still.

Any input? I am tempted to go with the lazy option of just changing colour!


Canadian hats!

Well, they will be anyway.

canada DK hat

I finished this one. It's a double knit hat, in my own pattern. You can spot the various issues I had with this at the left-hand edge as seen. The repeats don't follow round. But I think this will be ok. It's nice and thick and hopefully warm. It's knit in some Cygnet Wool Rich chunky in olive and some Sunbeam Wool Rich in a light grey colour. The Cygnet wool rich is 75% wool and 25% polyamide, and the Sunbeam version is 80% wool and 20% nylon. Both say machine washable. No idea if the two wools are still available - they were both lurking in my stash as left-overs from other long-finished projects

I haven't taken a picture of it the other way round, but it does reverse!

And as I had 50g of the light grey and 100g of the olive, I've started a second hat.

Simple rib hat

This one is a simple 1x1 rib effort, 112 st around, using a 4.5 mm needle. It's creating a pretty dense knit, but I'm a little worried about having enough wool to finish! Fingers crossed...


Cold-inspired muppetry

It's Sunday again, and that means more homework and more procrastination. GG has tried to bribe me today, with the offer of gardening this afternoon if I get it done quickly. It might even work! Especially since the cold that I've been trying to fight off for the last week seems to finally be gaining the upper hand so I'm not going to cricket practice.

This must be so, because I am knitting a hat, for the mighty Rabbitch's Hat Challenge. All well and good, I decided on a nice double-knit one. Even came up with a good, 6-stitch repeat pattern for it. Selected my chunky wool, picked out my 6mm, 40cm circular, and cast on 114 stitches. See, 114 divides by 6, 19 times. What I had forgotten to take into account, however, is that double-knitting halves the effective number of stitches. So really, my repeat is over 57 stitches. 57, you will note, does not divide by 6.

It's taken me about 4 inches and some hours of knitting (yes, I'm apparently quite slow. I'll blame double-knitting and the cold) to notice this. I'm going with the idea that it's better to have a hat with a slightly dubious pattern join than no hat at all, and ploughing on as though it never happened...

(I may feel guilty enough yet to go for a second hat. With the right number of stitches. Say, 108...)