hit counter

I'm bad

Yes, still no pictures. And I took some specially too. Oh well, eventually.

Cycled today! Very slowly - which is a bit concerning, because the wind was definitely behind me and is going to be in my face all the way home. It was a lovely morning. Sunny! Hooray! And I went on the farm roads rather than the faster main road, and only saw two cars really near the end of it. In fact, traffic was pretty good all the way, but the farm road was idyllic. Sun, wind behind me, birds twittering, fields either side... Just a shame I was coming into work!

I have no idea whether the roadworks that caused me to shread a tyre are still in place on the direct route home. Which is awkward, because if I'm dealing with a headwind I'd like as many cars to draft as possible, and my alternative route is quiet. Still, I think the wind is due to drop a bit, and if I'm honest it's not particularly strong now.

GG is on a course today, which means she's not emailing me. Boo hiss!


Back again

Florida was just what I needed. Two weeks, doing virtually nothing, lovely and warm. We spent a lot of time sitting in the sun with books and me knitting one thing or another, and eating loads, and sleeping lots too. Great! We did also do quite a lot of shopping, and we spent 2 days in Disney World. One in MGM, one in Epcot. Lovely as ever.

And then the day after I came back I had a big interview day for the job thing I've been after in Brighton for quite a while now. It's a part-time Masters course in Human Centred Computing Systems at Sussex University (over 2 years), with a part-time job at American Express attached. Now, I do already have 1 meaningful Masters degree in engineering from Cambridge, and my freebie one that Cambridge give you for just breathing right or something, so another Masters may seem overkill, but this is in a very different area. And the part-time job will allow me to pay a mortgage, so GG and I can buy that house together on two salaries.

This is the thing I've been working on that I hadn't wanted to jinx by talking about too much. I've been in the process of applying since before Christmas - there were so many rounds! The final one was this interview on the first jet-lagged day back. I was a bit concerned. But adrenaline is a wonderful thing... And they've given me the job! I'm waiting for the contract to arrive, I start September 4th (academic stuff, so a bit of a wait). Woohoo! Yeehaw! And many other joyful noises!

It's really going to happen. It really really is. And now we have a date for when it must have happened by. It is such a relief, and so exciting! All the baby steps are starting to come together.

Photos of exciting things like what I was knitting, knitpicks hauls, and possibly some of Disney, as and when I have uploaded them...



I'm going to be going away for a couple of weeks, so there won't be much going on for a while! Off to Florida to warm up and sleep lots. The project I don't want to jinx will be taking another step forward when I get back, so I'll be able to write everything down about it by the end of next month! Hopefully with a successful conclusion, but that's still up in the air. I'm working on it.

The coving finally got painted this weekend. Yay! So I can take the ladder back to my parents, and put the paint up in the loft out of the way. Unfortunately it didn't get painted until Sunday, and people came to look round on Saturday. Actually, still waiting to hear from the agent about that! Need to phone him. I was out all day Saturday. Cricket training with Redoubtables in Saarf London, followed by a team-run quiz night. We didn't get back home until gone 1.30, so Sunday was a day for moving very slowly. And climbing ladders whilst wielding paintbrushes, apparently!

I've also started knitting a lace scarf with some knitpicks shimmer I got at Christmas. It's very much at the bucket of boiled arse stage (to quote Rabbitch). I dunno. Hopefully the magic of blocking will sort it all out! I'm surprised how unwieldy my long straight needles feel after knitting with dpns or circular, but I don't have any circular in 3.75mm yet. I was thinking this could be a travel project for the 8 hour flight, but I'm worried about the long needles. Might have to rethink.

Not finished the red jumper yet. But I've got to the yoke stage, and it's definitely too bulky to travel with! I'm getting some more knitpicks wool too, for my latest challenge - a bulky, striped, fleece-lined jumper. Well, two of them. One for me, one for GG. Same design, different colours and stripe patterns, so it shouldn't look like we're in hers and hers matching too much! I'm planning to keep it a simple, drop-shoulder jumper, so it should be fine.


Oh happy day!

It's Friday! Woohoo!

Cycling in from my parents' house yesterday morning was so much easier than driving. And I got to work loads earlier than I ever seem to manage from home. So that's good, because that meant I could rack up enough extra time yesterday to go get a haircut this lunchtime and still get home at a reasonable hour, even though I didn't get in until 10 again.

Bit nervous about the haircut - it's the first time I've been to a hairdresser rather than a barber in... oh... about 5 years I think! It's going to cost me an arm and a leg, but I got bored of short hair and I need some help with the styling for the growing out period. And I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks next Wednesday, so if it ends up looking bad at least I've got 2 weeks to let it soften!



Yesterday was traffic hell around here. It took me an hour each way to get to work and back. It's 12.5 miles. I can cycle it faster than that. I wasn't even in rush hour. I left home at 9.20, and left work at 6.

As a result, I was tired, pissed off, and generally unhappy last night. No, the hoovering did not get done. And I didn't pack my bag for today, so no, I didn't manage to cycle this morning and avoid the traffic.

Tonight I'm going to see my parents to pick up some keys before GG and I go on holiday. They will feed me, and I am going to stay there all evening. I will use Rusty to get there, so the traffic will not matter. Tomorrow morning I will use Rusty to get back into work. A nice leisurely 6 mile ride. Again, the traffic will not affect me. I will go to bed early, and get up relatively late.

And hopefully I will feel better for it.