In 2013 I'm trying to buy less (or ideally nothing) that falls outside a set of rules I've created for myself. For a full description of how that happened, read this post here.
- Food and drink. This includes random coffees, snacks, meals out etc.
- Tickets for things. Gigs, visits, bus/train/plane tickets etc.
- Work stuff. Mostly, I anticipate this is going to be posters and the like.
- Replacement stuff, when things I use break/wear out.
- Presents for other people. I shall make an effort to find things I can buy for people that do not have a lasting physical presence though, like food, or paying for them to go somewhere.
- Stuff to finish projects (zips, thread, buttons etc.) Note that this does not include stuff to start new projects. Time to use up the stash and get things finished!
- Kindle fun reading - but only once I've read the unread books that are around.
I anticipate that this may save me money, but that's not really the aim. I look around my house and I know I already have most (if not all) that I could possibly need, and shopping for more stuff is just taking up my time and energy. I have enough other things to do, and time and energy are very precious things.
I'll occasionally post updates on how I'm doing, which should all end up being visible here.